Sunday, March 30, 2008

Week 1 of Testosterone Treatment


So clearly, if you came to see my blog, you can tell from the title of it that this is about my transition. I was born female and I am now transitioning to become a male. I felt starting this blog would be important for several reasons.

1) It would inform people about my actual transition

2) It would keep people updated on how I am changing day to day, including photos and video!!

3) It would be educational, maybe even fun!!

4) Perhaps it will help other people who are dealing with this

5) It will help raise awareness


Some questions I think I should answer in the beginning of this blog.

What is involved in transitioning?

Well, basically, it involves alot of counseling and eventually hormones, and the option of surgeries. I will be sure to get into the details later.

Why did I decide to transition?

I've felt like a boy since I was young. I thought that perhaps I was just a butch lesbian and have attempted living that way, and I still wasn't happy. I finally had to come to terms with the fact that I feel like I've been born into the wrong body and I would like how I feel on the inside to match with how I feel on the outside. After I graduated from college and moved to LA, I decided it was time to take this whole thing on. I know that I am not happy as I am, and I need to see this through. So I began therapy in November, and I have just recently been cleared and allowed to start my hormone treatment.

I received my first dose of testosterone on Wednesday, March 26th. It was an injection that went into my upper thigh. There are side effects of the testosterone such as increased appetite, increased sex drive, emotions all over the place. Basically, I will be going through puberty for a second time!! Oy, but I know it will be worth it in the end. My voice will deepen, I will develop facial hair, my muscles will be more developed, my body will redistribute my fat differently, my face may become more square. I could also develop acne!! I believe within 6 months to a year people will not be able to tell that I was born a female. I don't know how soon I will be feeling these side effects. I can tell you it has been a weird week already though. I'm going through so much emotionally already. I've been searching for a job for six months, I'm coming out to people all over again, I'm building a new network in a new city, etc. So maybe its the placebo effect, but I do feel different a little already. My emotions seem to be a little weird and I literally have had moments where I feel like a 12 year old awkward boy. But maybe I feel that way because I know what I'm about to embark on, so who knows.

However,I am so excited to finally start this part of my life and I want to be able to share it with everyone around me. Having the support of my friends and family is especially critical at this time in my life. So, please, send some positive energy my way in the form of comments on my blog, emails, phone calls, anything. I want to hear from everyone!!! I need to hear from my network of support!!! And please, if you have any questions at all, please ask!! If you feel they are too personal for the blog, email them to me and I will be happy to answer you!!! I love you Check out the video I just posted. This video was shot the day before my 1st dose of "T".

8 comments:

booneschmaling said...

Hi Jama!

what a great idea. i'm really proud of you for sharing your transition publically. you will personally affect so many people.

and your picture is really cute!

also- prepare yourself; transman diaries may become even more widely read than our europe blogs.

that sounds like a book review.

i love you!

Imagination Zone said...

Congrats Jamie!!!! Let me know if you need anything. I commend you for sharing your journey as it will do some good in the world :)

Unknown said...

Hey Jam! I am so glad you decided to blog about this, i mean who better than you to blog about anything really (as per your europe blogs). Im not going to repeat myself too many times I mean I do speak to you everyday, but just so everyone else can see:

YOU ARE AMAZING AND I AM HONORED TO KNOW YOU AND BE IN YOUR LIFE EXPECIALLY AS YOU GO THROUGH THIS TRANSITION. I AM HERE FOR YOU WHENEVER, JUST CALL AND ILL BE THERE.

xoxo

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Jam, now you're gonna be a bigger STUD than ever before! I am so proud of you and only wish I could be closer to as you go through this amazing journey. You bring laughter to those around you and that will never change. I am here for you every step of the way and I love you so much.

<3,
Ju Ju

Lynch said...

Jamie. You are doing great things to make your journey public--to break down so many barriers in a world filled with discrimination, but which has much hope. This is empowering. Thanks.

Billy Lynch (Bern's boyfriend)

Christine said...

BabyBoy,

I am so proud of you. This journey is one that is necessary and I will be there for you every step of the way. I wish I could have been there for the first day. I will be there, however, for the rest of your life. Keep staying strong. I got you.

I love you.

Christine

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie!

Congratulations on this huge step!I'm glad you are keeping a blog through this journey. I just wanted to let you know I'll be reading your blog and supporting you all the way over here on the other side of the country! Best Wishes!

Barbara said...

Good luck! I think this blog is a great idea. You are one brave dude! I look forward to traveling along this journey with you! If you ever need to talk email me.

BarbRyan