Monday, March 23, 2009

Drag and Gender bending show

This past weekend I performed in a drag show that was also about gender bending and variety in general. I didn't actually dress up as a woman. I was just myself but it was a lot of fun. I got to sing and perform as a "drag king" in a number.

I like the kind of audience that we were able to pull in. There were queer people and straight people from all walks of life. Even some of my coworkers came to support it and that was pretty awesome. I also had a really good friend of mine from college drive down from San Francisco to attend.

It was a really great weekend overall. It was so nice to see people come together and to support a show like this, and to support me. I'm very lucky to have so many supportive friends who accept me and love me as I am.

I'm in a good mood these days also because I have a new love interest in my life. Her name is Jordyn. She's been a part of my life for a few years now, but the "love" part is just starting to develop. And it's incredible.

This girl has been one of my best friends basically since the day I met her. We connect so well and we get each other on another level. I met her during my senior year of college, and we only lived in the same place as each other for 5 months, if that, and we have managed to stay in touch and stay connected since I graduated college.

She's one of the few people that I came out to as trans in college, in fact. As part of a homework assignment for a class we took together, we had to watch a tv show and comment on it. We decided we would watch the Tyra Banks show, and the topic just happened to be transgender kids/people. And after we watched the show, I was of course, emotional. And that was when I decided to tell her I was trans and looking into transitioning. She was incredibly accepting, very supportive. I think that was really the catalyst for me being able to tell other people in my life. Having one person so supportive and so accepting, especially at that time, made all the difference.

Now fast forward in time to present day. It had been a year and a half since I had seen her. She came out to LA for her spring break with a good friend of hers and I finally got to reunite with her. It was amazing. Instantly, everything I felt and more came rushing back. It was straight out of a movie. And something was different this time also, and that was I could tell she was feeling something for me also. And indeed she is. This is definitely the beginning of something much bigger and I can't wait to see where it goes. We are in the butterfly/honeymoon stage, which is obviously THE BEST.

Nothing at this point in my life feels better to me than someone totally understanding me, who I am, what I'm about, and loving me for it. I'm especially grateful when it comes along because it is lacking from my family, where it shouldn't be. So when it comes from other places, it really means a lot. And I definitely get this kind of support/love from Jordyn. I've had it for the past two years, it's just changing its shape a little.

Other than the show and my love life, the transition is going well. People all around are really starting to notice just how deep my voice is. A few people have mentioned that they have gone back to my first and second videos and they can really hear a difference. I myself went back and was in shock at just how high my voice used to be. so awkward lol

I'm still having some muscle spasms, and some nausea. I've become an incredibly picky eater and I'm trying so hard to eat 150 grams of protein a day, it's a struggle. But its still worth it to me.

I would really like to make top surgery happen sooner rather than later, but it looks like it's going to have to wait for a little while. And that really depresses me. I'm still trying to lose weight and get finances in order to make it all happen. I'll just have to see how long each of those takes.


That about sums everything up. Hope everyone has a great week!

No comments: