Friday, May 9, 2008

Transitioning on the job....

So,

I started my new job this week. So far, I like it a lot. It is at a major law firm in downtown Los Angeles. I'm working in the accounting department.

The issue I'm having is an interesting one though. They are so nice at this law firm, and so in favor of diversity, that everyone is going out of their way to be SUPER nice to me...like in this way that says, "WE LOVE GAY PEOPLE JAMIE. AND WE KNOW YOU ARE A BUTCH GIRL AND WE ACCEPT YOU" kind of way...its almost funny actually lol. I can very easily be mistaken for a boy (which is obviously what I want), but since I've been hired as a female, its interesting to see how hard people are working to make it known to everyone that I'm female...

So, now that I'm going to be showing more signs of transitioning, I don't know how exactly I'm going to "come out". I don't want to jeopardize my job, and it shouldn't be an issue, but we all know sometimes how things go.

I feel like some of my co workers are fine with me being gay, but they wouldn't be so fine seeing me transition from female to male.

I'm just going to continue to take it day by day. That's all I really know how to do.

In other news, I just wrote an article for IN Magazine in Los Angeles about my transition. It will be published in the PRIDE issue in a week or two, so keep an eye out for that!

No comments: