Friday, October 9, 2009

Meeting Jordyn's Family Finally

A few updates since my last entry…



Jordyn is moving to Los Angeles, which is so exciting!! When is she doing this? Next week!!! How is she doing this?? Well, being the glorious boyfriend that I am, I am flying out East tonight to help her drive her car and stuff to LA.



This also means I am meeting her family. If you recall, her mother reacted very badly to the news that her daughter is dating a transman. She is still not doing well with that. Her mom initially responded by freaking out, calling me names, and telling Jordyn she never wanted to meet me, hear about me, or have anything to do with me. So, I guess meeting her is progress, but I’m still not sure how it will go. Her mom hasn’t been taking any major steps towards wanting to understand us, getting to know me, but she will at least listen to Jordyn talk about me and is letting me stay in her house for one night. I just feel a lot of pressure about all of this. I really want to be able to go into this with my head balanced on my shoulders properly. But after all the trash talking this woman has done about me, without knowing me or how well I treat her daughter, it obviously hurts me and angers me. And yet, it is on me to be the good guy, to block all the crazy shit out she has done and said, so that I can make a good impression and let her see I’m just a guy. I feel like I’m going to be under a microscope and she is going to be staring at me looking for any signs that indicate I was born female. The thought of that is obviously uncomfortable. I don’t really want to be stared at like I have something wrong me or like I have the plague. So, needless to say, it is very challenging to try and be the bigger person, the educator, the person on display so people can learn and grow, all while I still deal with my own issues of being trans.


I’m also meeting Jordyn’s father as well as both sets of her grandparents. Her grandparents do not know that I’m a transman and I think I’d like to keep it that way.

So, this is 7 months of up and down bullshit dealing with Jordyn's family. I am not sure how it will go. I just need to focus on the fact that I cannot control other people, I can only control me. I just need to be myself.

6 comments:

crystal said...

Good luck Jamie! I am sure once Jordyn's mom meets you she'll realize you are good guy, she only needs to meet you :) Good luck buddy!

Chef Penny said...

The last part is key! remember that :) Good luck and keep me posted.

RaeJillian said...

hope it went well!

Anonymous said...

Jamie, You are strong and you always have been. Her mom is just jealous she couldn't find a man as handsome as you :) Listen Jamie, you got this.
~Alison

Unknown said...

WOW! I have been in a similar situation. I am sending you "strength & good vibes". Remember to ALWAYS keep your eyes open....and locate ALL the exits!! (This includes windows!!)

Keep a sense of humor.
Barb soon to be Mike

Anonymous said...

That's a good way to go about it, knowing that you do what you can but their part's up to them. I hope that it went well!